11 Then the LORD said to Moses,
12 “When you take a census of the Israelites to count them, each one must pay the LORD a ransom for his life at the time he is counted. Then no plague will come on them when you number them.
13 Each one who crosses over to those already counted is to give a half shekel, according to the sanctuary shekel, which weighs twenty gerahs. This half shekel is an offering to the LORD.
14 All who cross over, those twenty years old or more, are to give an offering to the LORD.
15 The rich are not to give more than a half shekel and the poor are not to give less when you make the offering to the LORD to atone for your lives.
16 Receive the atonement money from the Israelites and use it for the service of the Tent of Meeting. It will be a memorial for the Israelites before the LORD, making atonement for your lives.” (Exo 30:11-16)
Sermon Main Points
1) Taking a census was sin
2) Taking a census brought death
3) Taking a census brought death unless a ransom was paid
4) Dependence on human strength is sin
5) Dependence on human strength brings death
6) Dependence on human strength brings death unless a ransom is paid